Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If any of you are in a pinch for church dress because maybe your daughter has clean skirts, but no clean shirts, Shaelan has modeled here how to fix that problem. You simply take a skirt that has shorts sewn in underneath and create this beautiful dress appropriate for any occasion!
Fun with fireworks
Loved the Roman Candles
Not a super great pic but from the looks of all the flame, you know they were having a good time
I guess not everybody had a good time. This was the last firework she would stay outside for. After this, Javin got out the mortars and she freaked! I had to take her inside for the night.
Long Beach WA July 4th
We have never been to the Washington Coast before, so we decided to go for the 4th. It was very fun! (We went with Javin, Michael and Clayton.) Everyone had a great time!
This girl loved everything about the beach. The smile says it all.
This one was so focused on her sand castle
She finally paused to smile for the camera
These two had a team effort going for their sand castle. The sand was actually too wet for anything.
Eliana, Shaelan and Clayton waiting for the waves
Here it comes! Get ready to run! This was a fun game for Shaelan.
Here's the jellyfish that washed up on shore. After the girls were done examining it in their bucket and showing it off to the cousins, Rick took a shovel and cut it in half "to see what it would do". It was dead...it didn't do anything.
Our babies
The only thing that could have made this pic better would be a sunset. Look at our girls...so cute.
Pics of Ft. Columbia, 4th of July
B and E down in the old bunker
Looking at Shaelan from the top of the bunker
Beautiful beautiful view of the Columbia River
King of the mountain! Or is it the fort? Should be queen...
Cousins at the cannon
Brother and sister
See what happens when Brynlie gets the camera? This is just one of many random pictures...
5th Grade Graduation and Field Day
She's no longer in elementary school!
Unfortunately, all the pictures of her with her class and getting her certificate from the principal are all too dark (I'll just say that I wasn't the one with the camera!).
She's almost as tall as I am!
Brynlie and her BFF Angie
Trying to all stand up without coming unhooked is harder than you'd think...just ask these 5th graders
There was a tug of war championship. Brynlie was not on either of the championship teams, but here is her group. They didn't win. At the end, the kids wanted to have a tug of war moms (there were maybe 20 of us who volunteered for field day) vs. kids. O.K. There were 82 kids. Who do you think won? The funny thing is, on the mom's side, we pulled for a few seconds, then counted to 3 and let go. It was funny to see those kids topple like dominoes. It is very humorous to hear Brynlie tell the story. :)
Brynlie with just some of her friends
Beautiful Country
Some views from our hike in the Columbia Gorge. Rick took too many pictures to post them all. We are so fortunate to live in the Pacific Northwest where we have this beauty all around us. (Thanks Brandon and Cristal for babysitting)
Whew!!
O.K. The blog is now mostly updated. I have a few more pics I can post, but I am so worn out from all of these!! I'll get to it this weekend, maybe. But for now, I've given you a lot to look at. Enjoy! :)
Grandpa's Funeral
My grandpa passed away April 23. It was a very sad time for me. It made for a nice family reunion, which would have made grandpa very happy. I think that's all I'm going to say, because I'm done crying and if I go on, I'll cry again. Prepare yourself for the flood of pictures that are coming. I obviously couldn't put all the pics on here. I am planning on one day posting an album on facebook with more pics so that family who couldn't attend can see.
Full military honors
The flag was presented to Uncle Dennis, who then presented it to Grandma.
This is the strongest woman you'll ever meet. She is the tiniest thing and so very frail physically, but she is the one who helped us all pull through this sad time.
These girls are so funny. They collected dandelions from the cemetery grounds and made them into boquets. Grandma told them they could put them on Grandpa's casket...and they did. :)
Katie and Dad with friends
My boyfriend, pondering the events of the day
What a stylin' guy!
Aah....so sweet.
Sam the Man
Kensley was so curious about this hole. I kept catching her next to it.
Uncle Joe holding a sleepy Conner
Aunt Darlene
Kensley (back to camera), Brynlie, Eliana and Macey checking out the big hole in the ground
Dad and Uncle Dennnis (with his back to the camera) with Mr. and Mrs. Riggs from the funeral home
The Allen gang from North Carolina
Eliana is becoming quite the dancer.
oops...she got scalped!
Little Artistas
Two students from every class from every school in Vancouver School District were chosen to have their art work on display in a district-wide art show. The art was chosen from pieces they had completed in art class. Eliana and Kensley were chosen and their art was on display for a month. Here are their pictures during the art show open house. :)
Eliana and her chalk pastel art work
Kensley and her chalk pastel art work
O.K. So I forget that people other than family look at this blog and will not know I am kidding. I will see my sister again...just don't know when. SHe currently lives in California and it's a little easier to see her maybe once a year (my brother-in-law's family lives in Oregon so they make it a priority to come up at least once a year). Now, they are moving to Colorado. It's a little more difficult and a little more expensive to see her so the trips will be a lot less.
Treasures
The kids and I recently took a trip to Klamath Falls where my grandparents live. While visiting, my grandma told us (my sister and I) to take anything belonging to our great grandma (affectionately known as "Granny") that we desired. I came away with some wonderful treasures. The thing I desired most had not been spoken for by any of my cousins or aunts or uncles and so I got to bring it home. I am so excited about my new treasures!
This is the best thing I came away with. You will see several pictures of it because I am so excited to have scored this treasure! These are the rims of a wagon wheel. This wagon wheel came from the wagon belonging to my great great grandparents Absalom Pennington Free Jr. and Carrie Sorenson Free. My great grandmother notes "...When I was small Mom used to take me with her and Sis. Anderson Relief Society teaching. They collected the small articles for tithing. They took lard buckets for the saucers of sugar or flour or cereals that were donated. Some gave butter, a spool of thread, jar of fruit, even quilt pieces...all articles were taken to the Tithing Yard." This wheel is from the wagon that helped to collect all those articles. What my great grandmother fails to note is the reason she went along is that her mother could not trust her to stay home she was such a naughty little girl! :)
wheel hub and spokes
A picture of my dad as a very young boy. Isn't he handsome?
A picture of my great great great aunt Emmeline Free Young. She was married to Brigham Young (wife #20 and they had 10 children together). Isn't she beautiful?
My great grandmother's glasses
Our Trip to Klamath Falls
Kensley and her great grandma Shaffer
Brynlie and Eliana with great grandma
Brynlie and Eliana with great grandpa Shaffer
Kensley and Shaelan with great grandpa
Cousins...Eliana, Shaelan, Penelope, Macey, Brynlie, Kensley
Macey and Eliana
Penelope and Kensley...fun at the park
Penelope, Macey and Eliana
Me and my sista...the last time I'll ever see her
Wrestling Champion!
My cousin, Samuel Mecham, won the Oregon state wrestling tournament in his weight class. GO SAM!!!!!
So my baby cousin Nicole has been visiting us this week. (I can call her that because I was almost 16 when she was born.) She persuaded me to open a Facebook account to keep in touch with her when she moves on to our grandparent's house next week. I did it for her and it's amazing all of the people I've talked to in just one day. So many old friends...it's great to recconect. So, if any of you out there have a Facebook account (that haven't already contacted me), sign my wall!
You go girl!!
As a parent you get the right to brag on your children once in awhile. Kensley just had a reading test to check progress halfway through the school year. She can currently read 104 words per minute. By the end of 1st grade, the goal is for kids to read 55 words per minute! Her teacher is very impressed by her. She is simply following in her sisters' footsteps. All of the girls now read above grade level. WAY TO GO KENSLEY!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the happy face of a little girl who is growing!!! Kensley grew 1 1/3" from September 10 to January 14. Her endocrinologist says at this rate she should grow 4" total by this September. Her IGF-1 levels were still low so the dosage has been increased. Maybe that'll be more growth!!! Kensley is so excited!
And now onto winter sports...
Sam, you are the man!!! Everybody please notice the newspaper photo. My cousin is a fantastic wrestler and he is rocking the socks off of his opponents this season. We were privileged to get this newspaper article in the mail (and this time it's even autographed! Will be worth millions someday!) He is quite the celebrity and it's nice he thinks of us whenever he is in the newspaper. Way to go! Best of luck for yet another amazing season! (come see us when you go to state again. :) )
The Final Word...
One more thing before we move on. Now that the football season is officially over with Florida's win over Oklahoma (they were competing for the #2 spot because Utah already took #1), we can have the final word on the BCS. To quote former University of Oregon Athletic Director Bill Moos, there is an east-coast bias against the Pac-10, and as for the BCS? Take out the C and that's what I think of it. You go Bill...That's exactly what it is. For all of you who think that the BCS is a legitimate organization and Florida won it outright, think again. Utah got jipped! The BCS is not based on strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc. An article was posted on Yahoo! this week about the BCS computer models. A large percentage of it is based on votes from coaches and other sports "experts". Do you know how many of them said they didn't even vote? Or better yet, that they couldn't cast a vote for Utah because they didn't even watch their game? How can you vote in a system you don't wholly participate in? How can you rob teams just because you have a bias to who should be in the top 10 or top 2 so you "don't watch" other games? Incredible. Here's to hoping that someday this circus gets fixed. What a freaking joke.
Perfect end to a great season
Way to go Pac-10 for an undefeated bowl season! What great bowl games we've had to watch over the last week (with the exception of the Oregon State game. Who wins a bowl game by 3-0? Oh that's right. The same team that lost their rivalry game by 4 touchdowns! But don't worry...Mike Riley is "proud of [his] kids for coming back from their loss to Oregon to win the bowl game". Give me a break. Better luck next time Riley.)
And a big shout out to Utah and all their fans. WAY TO GO!!! What an awesome game. There is a reason you are undefeated this season. You are the national champions in my book!
And a big shout out to Utah and all their fans. WAY TO GO!!! What an awesome game. There is a reason you are undefeated this season. You are the national champions in my book!
Igloo in the back yard
I decided to make the best of this sweet awesomest snow and make an igloo for the kidies. They were quite impressed with my mad skills. Now I'm one cool dad.
What it looked like inside the igloo...
Pine Tree Can't Take The Weight
Unfortunately, our pine tree on the corner had over 10 larger branches that broke off. After it snowed for a full day, we got freezing rain, which added too much weight to the branches. Plus side - firewood!
This is what it looked like a little farther up the tree...
Snowman... minus the body
Our girls made these hilarious snowmen in the back yard
Another snowman...
Disclaimer
Just a disclaimer...I know the following pictures and statements are going to look funny to those of you from Klamath Falls or Utah, but here in this area of the Pacific Northwest, a storm like this is quite debilitating. This type of storm comes through about every 10 years or so and county and city agencies are never as prepared as they think they are. That results in fewer sanded roads, closed roads/highways and chaos everywhere you go. We are not even to the end of it. The really dangerous stuff arrived today, being freezing rain and sleet, and will continue into tomorrow. (I hope Rick is off of work!!)
This, folks, is what cancels church!
This is the tree in our front yard. The snow is 10" up the trunk. I was out in it when it started snowing yesterday morning at 4 a.m. It snowed for 17 hours straight. I kid you not. And this is the result. To make it worse, sometime in the middle of the night, the freezing rain started and things are super icy right now.
This is early in the day, before it really got going
Kensley and our neighbor Jordayn played doggie in Jordayn's front yard while Rick took the rest of the girls and Jordayn's brother sledding up and down the street
And of course, getting out the snow gear meant dress up day for Shaelan
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
It is an AWESOME day to be a duck!! This is no longer Beaver Nation!!!! Roses aren't smelling so good for you beaver believers are they? WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! See you all in San Diego December 30!!!!!
GO DUCKS!!!!!!!
GO DUCKS!!!!!!!
It's o.k....
For all you Beaver fans out there, I just have to say in advance that an Oregon loss on Saturday is not going to kill me. Now, I hope that it won't happen. However, if it does, the silver lining is that it keeps USC out of the Rose Bowl. Since I hate SC more than anyone, even a Beaver, it will be o.k. With that said, may the best webfoot win!
GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!!
Here's for you Luci!
Look Luci! I put your pictures up on my fridge! I look at them everyday and think of you! I love all the beautiful pictures you made for me. I hope you can come visit me and see them all on my fridge!
Don't try this at home
Rick and Javin were trying to break up ice for their sparkling cider Thanksgiving Day. Javin had the brilliant idea to smash the bag with the bottle of cider (which had been previously opened). After he did it, he wondered if the bottle would explode. Rick told him it shouldn't. He cracked it open a little and it started to explode so he closed it. Once they thought the pressure had equalized, Rick opened the bottle again, much to his disadvantage. It was like popping a cork. It sprayed everywhere...all over the fridge, stove, counters, floor and as you can see here, ceiling. Rick could not see because it was in his eyes, but we were all laughing hysterically. It was quite comical!
Never a dull moment...
Every day with a two year old brings a new adventure...you never know what you are going to get. Shaelan keeps us laughing most days. She does this punching thing where she tries to fight everyone. After trying unsuccessfully to beat me up, Brynlie told Shaelan to run into the back of me and attack. When she did that she hit her lip on my back and received two itty bitty red marks where her teeth must've hit. No blood. However, she screamed and ran down the hall yelling "Band aid, Band aid". Brynlie was kind and put a bandaid on her lip for her. So you see, a bandaid will fix everything. (Kati, notice the dress. Every day has been dress up day since I got home with these dresses!)
She's been doing a lot of reading herself to sleep. So cute.
Our Little Artist
Brynlie was one of nine students in her school chosen by the art teacher to paint a mural for the lights display at Portland International Raceway. Here she is in front of it.
Here is a little better picture of it
Trick or Treat!
Our halloween group. Shaelan refused to be in the picture. Instead, she stood in the kitchen crying because she didn't want to go. (See next picture). Brynlie's friend Breanne came with us this year. She typically goes trick or treating with her brother, but he passed away earlier this year so she asked if she could come with us. We had a great time...lots of candy!
Shaelan kept trying to take off her costume and didn't want to go. She kept saying "No tick teat". I don't think she understood the benefit of dressing up and looking cute...YOU GET CANDY!!!! We finally convinced her to come. Well, we just grabbed her and left and she cried half way up the street. She wouldn't let go of Rick, even to get candy. It wasn't until we were almost done for the night that she finally thought this whole thing was a good idea. Better luck next year.
Big Winners!
Brynlie, Eliana and Kensley all won first place in their age group in Pella's coloring contest. Because October is Fire Safety month, the grand prize was a tour of the fire station and a DQ gift card. We had a ton of fun at the fire station. The firefighters were very nice and we learned a lot!
Shaelan spent a good deal of time holding the firefighters hands. She wanted them to help her down the stairs, up into the fire truck and whatever else was going on. She never left their sides. They were so good to humor her.
First time with the scissors
Do you see the big patch of hair missing in her bangs? I noticed this on Sunday while I was getting her ready for church. If you could look up close you would see the hair is very short...almost like she used clippers. I haven't found the hair yet. She is very proud of herself (she keeps pointing to it saying "Me cut! Me cut!")
Independence
You have to pick your battles. Shaelan is at the age where she insists on picking her own clothes and getting dressed herself. This outfit is mild compared to others. We missed getting a picture of the one last week where she was wearing a Bugs Bunny pj shirt backwards, blue pants with purple flowers on them, socks and brown sandals, a Dr. Seuss backpack and purple sunglasses. It was a riot!! And of course you can't change her! I love it. :)
Notice the shoes! She HAD to wear these ones. This close up will also provide you a better understanding of the whole outfit. Blue shirt with hearts, black velvet pants with red flowers and white dots and yellow Princess Belle dress up shoes. You gotta love it!
Shaelan's Happy
Ever since her cousins Jayden and Jaxen had their 1st birthdays, all we've heard is "my happy, my happy". Their birthday was hard for her...she wanted all the cake and presents. Finally the day arrived and she had her happy! Shaelan turned 2 today and for all of you w ho called her (thanks) you know just how excited she was! Look at her face!
This stroller was a big hit! Look how excited she is!
Shaelan is always taking everyone else's pens. She loves to write. When she wants to write she says "I O I O". These are the only letters she knows.
Her own notebook to "I O" in
Kensley and her EasyPod
A daily injection with this will hopefully give her some inches!
Toothless Wonder
Kensley lost another tooth! She loves this part of growing up!
The beach was very windy but the tide pools were great. We saw lots of starfish, hermit crabs and other sea life.
After a long day at the beach. Just cuddling by the campfire.
Family time around the fire on our last night.
Jackson Visitors Center, Mt. Rainier Washington
Ah...the beauty! Many a gorgeous picture in this national park.
The glaciers are massive. It's hard to capture in this picture the sheer magnitude of these glaciers but they are huge!
Ok...so this is Shaelan's magic trick. It's very cute. Especially watch where Eliana puts the card and where Shaelan takes it out. ;) -Brynlie
ReplyDelete